COVID-19: EMSB youth & adult sector schools to close early before the holidays
Montreal, December 20, 2021- Following the most recent directives from the Ministry of Education and in response to the current epidemiologic situation in Quebec due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all English Montreal School Board youth and adult sector schools will be closed as of Tuesday, December 21.
The EMSB Directorate wishes to advise of the following:
• Elementary and high schools will be closed on December 21 and 22. Online learning will not be offered on either of these two days.
• Daycares will be open in elementary schools (except East Hill School) on December 21 and 22 for emergency workers.
• In preparation for the return in January, devices are being distributed to all students who need one, and details concerning this distribution are being provided by each individual school.
• Schools will remain closed for in-person learning on January 6 and 7. Online learning will be offered on both those days at the secondary level. At the elementary level, January 6 will be reserved to complete the distribution of devices. Online learning will not be offered on that day, but it will on January 7.
• Students will have to follow the online learning schedule and the links provided by their individual school.
The current plan is for all students to be back in school on January 10. However, the epidemiologic situation is evolving rapidly and therefore the return to school date could be postponed.
As pertains to the EMSB BASE Emergency Daycares for elementary students (December 21 and 22 only):
• All BASE daycares will remain open December 21 and 22 for students currently enrolled in the program.
• Priority will be given to parents who work in the health sector and essential services. Parents are to provide proof that they qualify for the service.
• Parents are strongly encouraged to keep their child(ren) at home, unless they have no other childcare option
• Schools with private daycares will provide the specifics concerning the service offered to their families.
• Parents have been sent instructions on how to register their child in an emergency BASE daycare service for December 21 and 22.
About the English Montreal School Board
With a youth and adult sector population of more than 35,000 students, the English Montreal School Board (EMSB) is the largest English public school board in Quebec. Established on July 1, 1998, when the province created new boards along linguistic lines, the EMSB network consists of 77 schools and centres. For more details, visit the EMSB website at www.emsb.qc.ca.
– 30 –
Michael J. Cohen
Manager, Marketing and Communications
English Montreal School Board
514-483- 7200 ext. 7243